Maps & Information

Upcoming Events

6:00 PM
City Council
6:00 PM
City Council

Latest News

February 28, 2017 City of Central Council meeting has been cancelled
The February 28, 2017 City of Central council meeting has been cancelled.

Is My Property Included in the LOMR Effective 7/15/16?

Is my property included in the LOMR effective 7/15/2016?

LOMR-15-06-4438P Document

Please review the Floodmap and determine which of the following situations apply to your property:

A. Your Floodzone and bfe are unchanged by the new flood maps. Areas shown as light blue on this map.

a. Your property was unaffected by the LOMR & no further action is needed.

B. Your property was in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) prior to the new maps but is now completely out of any SFHA. Please zoom into your property to make this determination.

a. You will be receiving a packet in the mail in early August with all the information you will need to have your flood insurance re-assessed based upon the new maps.

C. Your property was in a SFHA prior to the new maps and is now partially in a Floodzone, but your home appears to be completely outside of the SFHA. Please zoom into your property to make this determination.

a. Please fill out the attached form and email to for assistance. We will prepare a packet based upon your individual situation that can be used for re-assessing your flood insurance rates.

D. Your property was in a SFHA prior to the new maps and structures on the property are still in a SFHA but your home and/or property is within the portion of SFHA that was recently remapped. Areas shown as dark blue on this map.

a. You may qualify for reduced rates due to lower base flood elevations.

b. Contact a licensed surveyor and ask for a FEMA Elevation Certificate which cites LOMR 15-06-4438P as the source of the base flood elevation shown. Submit this to your insurance agent for re-evaluation of your flood insurance rates.

For any and all unique situations that do not fit any of the above scenarios, please call (225) 262-5000 and ask for assistance with Flood Maps




The City of Central provides this information in good faith with no warranty and does not accept any liability arising from incorrect, incomplete or misleading information or improper use. This information presented by the City of Central is intended to serve only as a reference for researching property; and takes no legal responsibility for its accuracy. The users of the online GIS Web application are advised not to rely solely on the information reflected on the maps.

Do I need flood insurance?

You may be in a special flood hazard area.  Forty-two percent of East Baton Rouge Parish has a potential of being flooded, and roughly 75 percent of the City of Central has a potential of being flooded.

The major floods in recent history that caused the most damage to the Amite & Comite River watersheds occurred in 1967, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1983, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1995, 2001 and 2005.  Find out if your property is in the regulated floodplain according to this map (future link).

Neighborhood Flood

Here are some things you can do to protect your family and property from flooding:

Buy flood insurance.  Even if you’re not in the mapped floodplain, you may be subject to local flooding due to drainage issues.  Whether in a floodplain or not, flood insurance can be a good investment because homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover damage from flooding.  To find out more about flood insurance, contact your property insurance agent to see what policy is right for you.  Don’t wait for the next big flood.

Do not walk or drive through flood waters.  Currents can be deceptive.  Six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet.  Do not drive around barriers, as the road or bridges may be washed out.  Preparing for an emergency can reduce the possibility of personal injury, loss of life, and damage to property.  Know your flood warning signals, create an emergency plan, and prepare a disaster supply kit.  To find out more information on flood warnings and emergency preparedness, contact your local Emergency Preparedness office.

Talk to us about protecting your home or business.  You can protect your home or business from damage of flooding by modifying your building to minimize flood damage.  Where flooding is shallow, measures such as small floodwalls, re-grading the yard, and flood-proofing walls or utilities can be effective and relatively inexpensive.  Where flooding is deep, you may need to elevate your building.  For more information on flood proofing your building there are publications at your local public library or you can contact the Floodplain Manager at (225) 262-5000.

Always check with the Building Department before you build, alter, regrade or fill your property.  A permit is required for most development projects, including new construction or substantial improvements, and filling or excavating your property, to ensure compliance with all City, Parish, State, and Federal regulations.   These regulations are designed to protect your property from flood damage and to ensure you don’t cause drainage problems for yourself or for your neighbors.  To find out about permits, contact the Permit Office.  Also, Elevation Certificates for recently permitted structures are available upon request at your Permit Office. 

Don’t pour oil, grease, pesticides or other pollutants into storm drains, ditches or streams.  Streams and wetlands help moderate flooding and are habitats for fish and wildlife.  Let’s protect them and their homes.

The City has an ordinance that makes it illegal to dump debris in streams, channels, and drainage systems.  You must utilize Best Management Practices for Stormwater Management and Erosion Control when building, filling or excavating to keep debris and pollutants out of the storm drains.  The City also has a drainage maintenance program which can remove blockages from ditches or streams.  To report problems, call the Dept. of Public Works.          

Check before you buy.  Before you commit yourself to buying property, do the following:

Ask the real estate agent or your City Floodplain Manager if the property is in a flood zone that requires mandatory flood insurance if the property carries a mortgage.  Ask the seller or the neighbors if the property has ever flooded or if it is subject to other hazards, such as sewer backups, erosion or subsidence.  Talk to the Permit Dept. about Building & Zoning regulations. 

In accordance with City Ordinances, every transfer of property is required to provide a flood hazard disclosure statement to prospective buyers.

For more about the National Flood Insurance Program, and to check your property’s flood risk, please visit

Link to the One-Step Flood Risk Assessment Tool, which is a simple way for homeowners to learn their flood risk level by just inputting their address.