Planning & Zoning
The October 25, 2016 Council meeting will be held at the Central High School Auditorium, 10200 E. Brookside Drive, Central, LA 70818
- Paul Burns (Chairman)
- T.J. Johnson (Vice Chairman)
- David Matlock
- Aaron Moak
- Graydon Walker
- Bijan Sharafkhani
- Neal Chollette
- Woodrow Muhammad, AICP (Planning & Zoning Director)
- Matt Zyjewski (Administrative Services Manager)
- Shannon Edgerson (Planner/Code Enforcement Officer)
Planning & Zoning Commission
The Planning & Zoning meeting schedule, agendas, minutes, and case lists are available here.
The Planning & Zoning schedule for 2016 is available here.
Effective October 1, 2007, all rezoning requests in Central must be accompanied by a small site plan which must include such items as location and dimensions of all buildings and parking, as well as any proposed signs, green space and drainage facilities. For a copy of the ordinance, click here or call Woodrow Muhammad at 225.262.5000. For instructions regarding needed information, click here.
Notice of Public Hearing to Property Owners (Sec. 7:19.4.1 of the Development Code)
- A. A supplemental notice of the time and place of any required public hearing shall be sent by U.S. mail by the applicant not less than 20 days in advance of the hearing to the Commission staff and all owners of real property, within 500 feet of the boundaries of the land upon which a zoning change is requested. The applicant shall provide the Commission staff with proof of the required mailing (consisting of a Certificate of Mailing from the U.S. Postal Service or delivery receipt) for each notice at least two days prior to the public hearing. The failure to timely provide this proof shall cause the subdivision application to be deemed incomplete and prevent the zoning commission from considering the application. For the purpose of notice requirements to property owners, the names and addresses of such owners shall be deemed to be those on the East Baton Rouge Parish Assessor's records. Failure of owners to receive supplemental notice of hearing shall not affect the validity of any approval.
- B. Signs
- The applicant for any proposed Land Development for PUD or TND requiring a public hearing shall pay a sign placement fee of $50 and shall authorize the Department of Public Works to place a sign at least four feet in height and eight feet in width on or adjacent to the property proposed for development or, if the property does not front on a public street, on the nearest public right-of-way or street with the highest traffic count. The sign shall indicate that the property is proposed for development, and shall include the present zoning classification of the property, the zoning classification sought by the amendment, the number of lots proposed (if applicable), the number of square feet of commercial buildings proposed (if applicable), the proposed name of the development, the date, time and place of the public hearing on the proposed amendment, the name and phone number of the developer and the phone number and website for the City of Central Planning Commission.
- For all other zoning requests requiring a public hearing the applicant shall authorize the Department of Public Works to place sign(s) at least 18 inches in height and 24 inches in width on or adjacent to the property proposed for development or, if the property does not front on a public street, on the nearest public right-of-way or street with the highest traffic count. The sign shall indicate the present zoning classification of the property, the zoning classification sought by the amendment, the date, time and place of the public hearing on the proposed amendment, and the phone number and website for the City Planning Commission. The City of Central shall provide the sign at no cost to the applicant.
- Required signs shall be posted not less than 20 days prior to the date of the public hearing to be held by the zoning commission on the proposed amendment. The sign shall not be removed from the property until the decision of the Council or planning and zoning commissions is final. Signs shall be and shall remain the property of the Department of Public Works.
Public Participation Program (Sec. 7:19.4.2 of the Development Code)
In addition to the requirements of section 7:19.4.1, applicants for PUD or TND Rezoning requests shall complete the two-part Public Participation Program designed to enhance dialogue between applicants and individuals which could be impacted by the proposed development, as outlined herein.
(1) Part One of the process is the filing of a plan on the Public Participation Form (Form A) simultaneously with the Land Development Application requesting a zoning change or subdivision. The plan shall include the following:
- Identification of all property owners within 500 feet of the site and area homeowners' associations, environmentally stressed communities, political jurisdictions, and any other public agencies or organizations which may be affected by an application as determined by the applicant and the zoning commission staff at the time of the pre-application conference.
- Explanation of how the interested parties will be informed of the development and/or rezoning request. If notice to property owners within 500 feet required by this section will be performed by mail, the notice required in section 7:19.4.1 can be included with this notice provided the proof of mailing required by section 7:19.4.1 is provided.
- Methods of providing opportunities for discussion with interested parties before public hearings are held. Applicants are required to schedule at least one meeting at a convenient location and time and notify all interested parties, as identified above, of the purpose, place, and time of the meeting.
- Applicant's schedule for completion of the Public Participation Plan.
(2) Part Two of the Public Participation Program, the Public Participation Report (Form B), shall be submitted to the Commission staff no later than seven business days prior to the scheduled zoning commission meeting and the applicant(s) shall submit to the Commission staff a revised copy of the Public Participation Report no later than noon on the Tuesday preceding the Council meeting at which they will be considered. The report shall include:
a. A list of all parties notified, the methods of notification used and copies of all notifications.
b. A list of dates and locations of all community and/or other meetings attended by the applicant to discuss the application and copies of related documentation including meeting notes and correspondence.
c. The number of persons participating in each meeting and copies of the sign-in sheet(s).
d. A summary of concerns and issues expressed by interested parties.
e. A summary of the applicant's response to concerns and issues.
A copy of the sign regulations are available here. Please call Matt Zyjewski at 225.262.5000 for more information as needed. Please note that banners and portable changeable message signs are not allowed as permanent structures. These signs are only allowed on a temporary basis with a valid permit.
Application Fee Schedule
Click here for the application fee schedule.