Floodplain Management

The City of Central's floodplain management office works with citizens each day to know their flood risks. Some of our services include: 

Identifying Your Properties Flood Risk And Flood Zone - Click Here For Floodplain Map

If your purchasing a new home or business,  or purchasing flood insurance for your home or business, we can help you identify where your property is located within the flood zone maps. 

Applying For Leter Of Map Amendment (LOMA)

If you have a current Elevation Certificate in hand that indicates that the property is not actually at risk because the elevation data indicates the structure was properly ‘floodproofed’ during design and construction, then you likely meet the minimum qualifications to request removal of the property or structure from the floodplain through the Letter of Map Change process.​

FEMA allows all property owners, except those placed in AO flood zones, to submit a Letter of Map Change request for issuance of a LOMA or LOMR or LOMR-F depending upon the individual circumstances of your situation.  This can result in the reduction of your flood insurance rates, or the removal of the requirement for flood insurance on the structure. 

Provide Elevation Certificate For Structures Built After 2008

The floodplain management office should have a record of your flood elevation certificate if construction of your structure was completed after 2008. Here is a list of properties that have an Elevation Certificate on file.

NFIP and CRS Points

The City of Central is proud to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). We also work within the Community Rating System (CRS) to help flood insurance policity holders receive discounts on their flood insurance rates. 

Know your flood Risk

You May Live In A Special Flood Hazard

Know your flood risk

42% of East Baton Rouge Parish (including 57% of Central), 70% of Ascension Parish, and 75% of Livingston Parish have a potential of being flooded.  Major floods that caused the most damage on the Amite and Comite Rivers and their tributaries occurred in 1967, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1983, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1995, 2001, 2005 and 2016.  Find out if your property is in the regulated flood plain by calling your city’s floodplain management office.

Buy Flood Insurance

buy flood ins

Even if you’re not in the mapped floodplain, you may be subject to local drainage flooding.  In either case, flood insurance can be a good investment because homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover damage from flooding.  To find out more about flood insurance contact your property insurance agent to see what policy is right for you.  Don’t wait for the next flood

Do Not Walk Or Drive Through Flood Waters

turn around

Currents are deceptive; six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet.  Do not drive around barriers, as the road or bridges may be washed out. Preparing for an emergency can reduce the possibility of personal injury, loss of life and damage to property.  Know your flood warnings signals, create an emergency plan, and prepare a disaster supply kit.  To find out more information on flood warnings and emergency preparedness; contact your local Emergency Preparedness office.

Talk To Us About Protecting Your House Or Business

You can protect your home or business from drainage and flooding problems by modifying your building to minimize flood damage.  Where flooding is shallow, measures such as small floodwalls, re-grading the yard, and flood-proofing the wall or utilities can be relatively inexpensive. Where flooding is deep you may need to elevate your building.  For more information on flood proofing your building there are publications in the Public Libraries or you can call at the city’s floodplain management office. (225) 262-5000.

Check With The Building Department Before You Build, Alter, Regrade , Or Fill Your Property

check before building

A permit is required for any type of development including new construction, substantial improvements, placement of fill, or excavation to ensure that a project is compliant with all regulations.  These regulations are designed to protect your property from flood damage and to make sure you don’t cause a drainage problem for      neighbors.  To find out how to get a permit, contact your Permit Office (225) 262-5000.  Also, elevation certificates for structures built after 2008 are available at your Permit Office.

Don't Pour Oil, Grease, Pesticides, Or Other Pollutants Down Storm Drains, Or Into The Ditches And Streams

dont pour grease

Our streams and wetlands help moderate flooding and are habitat for fish and other wild life that provide us with recreation and food.  Let’s protect them and their homes!

The City & Parish have ordinances that makes it illegal to dump debris in streams, channels, and drainage systems. You must utilize storm water protection/erosion control when building, keeping building debris and pollutants out of the storm drains.  The city also has a drainage maintenance program which can remove blockages, such as downed trees and branches, from a drainage ditch or stream.  To report problems call the Department of Public Works (225) 262-5000.

Check Before You Buy

check before buying

Before you commit to buying property, do the following:

Ask the real estate agent or your city floodplain management office if it is in the flood zone and if it requires flood insurance.  Ask the seller or neighbors if it has ever flooded or if it is subject to other hazards, such as sewer backups or subsidence.  Talk to the building department about the building and zoning regulations.

be ready during floods